Tuesday, May 5, 2009

hobbies of learning and discourse

I decided I am uncomfortable discussing identity constructs. It’s messy and complicated and I don’t know enough about Life and Communication to be confident in any Statement I make. This is not to say I am apathetic to the foundations and movements of different groups. Anyone who wants to join in matrimony should be allowed to do so. Have 16 wives or husbands or lovers…. I don’t care. A human is a human is a human and anyone should be allowed to love and display such. But now I’m reading that some self-identified LBGTQA radical groups don’t want to be granted the same institutional rights as everyone else because that is just the Powers That Be trying to assimilate them? Ideas of Heretonormativity and Homonormativity …discuss….

I decided I would be uncomfortable discussing any combination of gender and sexuality in a public space. I’ll listen to people talk about it, but me and my white on white hetero relationships don’t bring anything new to the story. I don’t like when people talk about their bedroom life. It’s probably my religious upbringing that makes me feel a little prude like that. This is not to say I don’t believe that Combinations of Relationships shouldn’t allow to exist.

Movements are not for me. However, knowing my Self, if i Identified with something different that what I do and was ostracized for it, I’d be pissed and probably want to join an appropriate movement to demonstrate the unfairness of the situation. Or maybe I’d rather change things quietly from the inside – sleeper cell style. I understand that radical movements would rather not be assimilated into society but rather have space made for them and their cause, but I think there is a line between radicalism and extremism. Radical movements are tricky because if they are not radical enough, their actions could go unnoticed or if the actions are too radical, it may only increase exclusion.

I believe in the power of the Media which can spread new ideas and open up space for discourse by reaching the Masses. Of course, spoon feeding is not always the Answer, but if I to choose a way to make a change, that would be the way for me. I think it is undeniable that American Society’s way of looking at Gender and Sexuality has become more accepting than, say, 15 years ago. Ellen, and before her, that characters on Roseanne, may have not changed everyone’s opinion on the politics and semantics of LBGTQA rights, but they did open doors for discourse.

Sometimes I feel guilty about feeling guilty that I am a Privileged White Female and that I should find a Cause to support, but if I did would my feelings of biased advantage just increase? I guess it’s kinda a moot point with me because I found happiness of just Being Okay with dismantling normative ways of thinking within myself and all that I can ask of me is to be open and understanding to others. Humanity is always going to find something to argue about… it separates us from the robots.

No comments: